Microsoft today kicked off Mobile World Congress by giving people a glimpse of what the rest of the year will bring for Windows Phone 7. Among the updates are several new features, a booming app marketplace, and the integration of even more Microsoft products with the phone.
Microsoft announced several new Windows Phone 7 features coming in 2011, including a “dramatically enhanced” browser experience based on Internet Explorer 9; additional multitasking capabilities; support for Microsoft Office documents in the cloud; and the addition of Twitter to the People Hub. The expanded capabilities announced today include:
- IE9 will be available for Windows Phone 7 in the second half of 2011, offering "a dramatically enhanced mobile Web browser experience."
- Copy and paste functionality via first major update, coming in the next month
- Twitter integration directly into the People Hub in 2011
- Support for Office documents in the cloud in 2011
- Dramatically enhanced Web browser experience based on IE9 in 2011
- A new wave of multitasking applications in 2011
- Targeting significant volume of Nokia Windows Phones in 2012